STARTING A NONPROFIT
Law students frequently will be involved in starting a charitable corporation. Before beginning, however, it is important that the legal clinic have the following in place:
- Name, address and contact information for appropriate state agencies with jurisdiction over nonprofits (usually the Secretary of State’s office is the agency in charge of incorporating nonprofits, and the Attorney General’s office is in charge of regulating non profit activity, but check with your state to make sure you have identified the appropriate agencies.)
- Up-to-date information on filing requirements, as well as all necessary formation forms.
- Up-to-date information on state laws and regulations specifically related to regulation of nonprofits and non profit activities.
- Current IRS (state and federal) forms and publications.
- Contact information for trusted accountants with specialized knowledge of non profit accounting and financial procedures
- Contact information for trusted lawyers with special expertise in the area of nonprofit corporation issues, board governance, tax, labor and employment law.